“Chlorine gas can be recognized by its pungent, irritating odor, which is like the odor of bleach. The strong smell may provide adequate warning to people that they are exposed. When chlorine gas comes into contact with moist tissues such as the eyes, throat and lungs, an acid is produced that can damage these tissues.”
– Center for Disease Control and Prevention
How Will I Know if a Roof Cleaning Contractor is Planning on Using Bleach on my Roof?If a contractor DOES NOT TELL YOU UP FRONT that they are NOT using bleach, then they are probably using bleach. Roof cleaning contractors who use bleach often don’t advertise or tell you that they are using bleach, mainly because they know that YOU DON’T WANT THEM TO USE BLEACH! Even when asked about it directly, some may still deny that they use bleach. Be insistent “Soft Wash” to evade the question. Here are some other clues that your contractor is using bleach, but won’t say so directly:
- If they tell you that they follow the shingle manufacturers (ARMA) recommendations, they are using bleach (shingle manufacturers wan’t you to need new shingles!).
- If they tell you they use sodium hypochlorite (or SH for short), they are using BLEACH bleach.
- If they tell you they will water down, cover or spray your plants during the process, they are using bleach.
- If they tell you that they use a runoff recovery system to suck up the chemicals running off the roof, they are using bleach.
- If they tell you their “soaps” breakdown into salt, they are using bleach. (Click HERE to see how salt damages landscaping).
CONTRACTORS – ADD Roof Shampoo® ROOF CLEANING TO YOUR BUSINESS!